Monday, February 27, 2017

VSA Headlines - February 2017

UK

Inside the criminal trend of stealing laughing gas from hospitals: Steal NOS and sell it in balloons at a rave, and you've made £700 of pure profit, so it's no wonder thefts are on the rise.

Teenagers 'high on laughing gas' throw chairs and smash window in McDonald's: The rampage, which happened at Merseyway in Stockport, is the third such incident in a month at a town centre outlet of the burger giant.

USA

Woman dies after found in bathroom of Niagara Falls mall with inhalant cans: A woman died Wednesday night after she was found with air duster cans in her possession in the bathroom at Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls, according to police.

Fargo man sentenced to six months for wife's huffing death: A Fargo man was sentenced to six months in jail on Monday, Feb. 13, after pleading guilty to a charge of reckless endangerment for providing the cans of dust cleaner his wife used during a fatal huffing session in December.

Lebanon woman caused fatal accident after huffing (PA): A Lebanon woman caused a fatal crash in December after huffing an aerosol can, police say.

Death in Wells Co. “huffing” incident ruled accidental (IN): A man’s death was ruled accidental after a “huffing” incident in Wells County in January.

Tifton PD, GBI investigate death (GA): People in the area are concerned that huffing may be to blame for the death. Witnesses that found the body said they found multiple cans of aerosol nearby.

Traffic accidents caused by VSA occurred in FLGA, IA and PA while other VSA-associated arrests took place in MA, MIOH, OH and TN.

INDIA

Chances are, a child you know is using drugs: In 2014, the National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre (NDDTC) at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) conducted the first nationwide survey on drug abuse in children. Of 4,024 minors surveyed, 83.2% had used tobacco, 67.7% consumed alcohol, 35.4% used cannabis and 34.7% were sniffing inhalants such as glue and correction fluid.

THAILAND

Boy dies following inhaling camping gas from can: A 12 year-old boy died and his friend was injured after they inhaled gas from a camping gas can bought from a supermarket in Nakhon Ratchasima province.

SUDAN

Sudanese NGO encourages homeless children to join school: [Faris Alnur Ibrahim, chairman of Mujaddidon Organization] said the majority of the homeless children who joined the open school were addictive to sniffing glue, a petrochemical material used in fixing bicycle wheel tubes. These children sniff the glue as a substitute for drugs because it is inexpensive and easier to obtain.