Wednesday, February 27, 2013

VSA Headlines: February 2013

UK

Sunderland teenager died after sniffing gas: A teenager's tragic death from inhaling butane gas has led to action against the Teesside shop which sold it to her.

USA

Body found in motel along with 52 empty aerosol cans (Osage Beach, MI): According to a news release, Police determined the deceased man and a woman bought the cans over a three day period from a nearby store.

Mom story: My daughter died from inhaling helium. Read how her family is trying to warn other parents and kids about the dangers of inhalants.

NEW ZEALAND

Legal high bill introduced: A bill restricting the sale of "legal highs" has been introduced to Parliament today. The Psychoactive Substances Bill puts the onus on producers of synthetic psychoactive substances to prove their products are safe before they can be sold, associate health minister Peter Dunne says in a media release.

Monday, February 04, 2013

VSA Headlines: January 2013

The recently published report, Trends in UK deaths associated with abuse of volatile substances 1971-2009, found other psychoactive substances to be present in 54% of deaths caused by VSA in 2009. In the light of the tragic death of a 16-year-old in Cornwall who was "turning a corner" in his fight against drug abuse, Re-Solv would once again urge substance misuse support and treatment services always to include VSA in their assessment procedures. 

Re-Solv delivers free VSA awareness and intervention training to substance misuse services in England under our Department of Health funded 'Community for Recovery' programme. Please contact us for details, or phone 01785 817885.

UK

Schoolboy died after inhaling lighter fuel: A teenager found collapsed in a college toilet died after inhaling cigarette lighter fuel, an inquest heard.

Norfolk coroner’s concern over widespread solvent abuse after ruling teenager’s death was accidental: Norfolk coroner William Armstrong has voiced his concerns about the widening problem of solvent abuse amongst teenagers - as he brought an inquest into a 15-year-old’s death to a close.

Legal highs

Inside out London: Mark Jordan investigates the surge in untested and sometimes deadly chemicals being sold legally on the streets of London and bought by teenagers to get high.

Legal high deaths 'tip of iceberg', says doctor: Deaths linked to legal highs may just be the first signs of the damage they do, according to a medical expert.

Make legal highs available for sale, government urged: The least harmful new "legal highs" should be made readily available for sale under strictly regulated conditions rather than being immediately banned as happens now, according to a cross-party group of peers.

Khat: a legal high, but should it be banned? Khat, a stimulant drug, is chewed by around 90,000 people in the east African and Yemeni communities in the UK. But now the Home Office is considering banning the substance. Jamal Osman finds out why. 

IRELAND

Legal highs

Ireland tops legal high user charts: Europol and the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA) published their findings in their first ever comprehensive overview of drug trafficking throughout the continent. 

USA

Police say “huffing” involved in quadruple Greene fatal (PA): State police say that three of four people killed in a three-vehicle crash in Washington Township, Greene County, in early October had been inhaling a can of compressed air cleaner just prior to the crash.

Man dies from huffing (KS): A man has died after huffing from several keyboard dusting cans, according to the Riley County Police Department.

Huffing Overdose Suspected In Death Of Sacramento Man Found In Parking Lot (CA): It’s usually a risky thrill for teens, but the deadly game of huffing has now claimed the life of a Sacramento man.

5 years in prison for Palatine huffing crash (IL): A Palatine woman who “huffed” fumes from a cleaning product while driving and seriously injured two people after she passed out and struck another car was sentenced to 5 years in prison this morning.

Driver inhaling gas arrested after chase in LA (CA): A spike strip was used to blow out the car's tires and it came to a stop but the driver remained inside. TV news reports showed him repeatedly filling colorful balloons from a tank of an unknown gas and inhaling from them.