Tuesday, November 20, 2012

VSA Headlines: October 2012


A north London teenager died after inhaling an unknown gas from a canister he thought contained laughing gas, it has emerged. The 17-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest after inhaling the gas with his friends on 31 August. An inquest later revealed that the aerosol instead contained a mixture of dangerous gases including butane, which is used as lighter fuel, and pentane, which is used to make polystyrene.

Mother overcame heroin addiction only to become hooked on up to 15 butane gas canisters a day: A post-mortem examination revealed the mother had a cocktail of drugs in her body, including butane and benzodiazepines, at the time of her death.

Hereford teenager 'critical' after inhaling butane gas: A teenage boy from Hereford is in a critical condition in hospital after inhaling butane gas, police have said.

'Lucky' butane gas sniffers in blast drama (St Austell, Cornwall): An explosion at a guest house has hospitalised two residents who were thought to be sniffing butane gas while smoking.

Royal Bolton Hospital study links use of "poppers" with eyesight damage: The Royal Bolton Hospital is warning that sniffing "poppers" can cause lasting damage to the eyes, following the first study of its kind in the UK.
A post-mortem examination revealed the mother had a cocktail of drugs in her body, including butane and benzodiazepines, at the time of her death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2159707/Knife-wielding-mother-high-15-canisters-butane-gas-threatened-cut-daughter-14--like-fish.html#ixzz2ClKStPLi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Legal Highs

Boy, 16, dies after police warning on 'legal high' drugs: Six teenagers were rushed to hospital yesterday – and one of them died – shortly after a drugs warning about legal highs was issued by police.

Annihilation legal high leaves nine in hospital (Glasgow): Police have warned about the use of a "legal high" substance that has left nine people in hospital in the past three months. A leading drug misuse expert has called for tough new measures to target those involved in the supply of 'legal high' drugs.

Legal high linked to death in Jersey joins the banned list: A 19-year-old died earlier this year shortly after taking the stimulant-style drug Benzofuran, also known as Benzo Fury.

Amy Winehouse's Dad Launches Legal High Awareness Campaign: Amy Winehouse's father is launching a new campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of legal mind-altering substances which have flooded the U.K. club scene. Details on the full campaign via the Angelus Foundation website.

Two arrests over Belfast 'legal highs': Police investigating the sale and supply of so-called legal highs arrested two men in Belfast on Wednesday afternoon.

Dad who ran 'legal high' drugs website from Burslem base sent to jail: A FATHER-OF-TWO has been jailed for selling thousands of pounds worth of 'legal high' drugs, which then became illegal. 


Huffing blamed for three Vermont deaths this year: Before the huffing of aerosols was being blamed for causing the crash that killed 17-year-old Carly Ferro last week, the practice of inhaling household chemicals had been deemed major factors in two other fatal crashes in the state this year — including one in Rutland.

Middle Point woman pleads in alleged huffing crash (OH): A Middle Point woman accused of huffing from a can of compressed air before causing a traffic crash that killed a 90-year-old woman pleaded no contest at a Monday court hearing.

Mom warns of dangers of inhaling helium: "There are few comprehensive statistics on deaths from helium huffing, since the federal government does not collect them and few states do," according to the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (NIPC). However, Florida is one of those states and according to data collected there, in 2010, approximately 20 percent of the state's 38 inhalant deaths involved helium. 


Substance abuse is 'problem No. 1' in aboriginal North: Dr. Stanley Vollant's 'Innu path' is both a personal 4,000-km trek and a mentoring process for troubled youth. 


Oxiteno develops nail polish solvent to replace toluene: Brazilian chemicals company Oxiteno has developed a new solvent for nail polish applications that substitutes toluene.  


Petrol sniffing blamed for mall fire: A 29-year-old man was sniffing petrol in the roof cavity of a Darwin shopping centre shortly before a fire ignited, a court has heard.  


Legal Highs

Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne today announced details of a new regulatory regime for ''legal high'' manufacturers: Under the new regime, manufacturers would have to pay fees and testing costs to have the substance passed as safe for sale by a regulatory watchdog.

Users of synthetic cannabis are putting a strain on the health system in Otago, prompting police to ask retailers not to sell the legal high. 


Nairobi glue pusher preys on addicted kids to help her own: For kids in Kenya looking to get a cheap high, glue is the way to go. The dealers aren't necessarily drug kingpins. More often than not, they're mothers, selling glue as a means to put food on the table for and clothes on the back of their own children.