Thursday, May 10, 2012

VSA Headlines: March 2012

UK

Darleane Bell: coroner calls for care centre review: It follows the death of 15-year-old Darleane Bell who left Ashgrove Care Centre in Newtownards after midnight in June 2010. She sniffed gas from a tin of deodorant at nearby Glenford Park and later died.

Athletics meeting in memory of Cumbrian teenager: A talented young sportsman who died after inhaling petrol fumes while camping with friends, will be remembered at an athletics meeting this weekend. Petrol taken along to help light a fire had leaked inside the tent overnight.

It’s no laughing matter: Young people in Bristol are using nitrous oxide to get high: More and more young people are using nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, to get high.

IRELAND

Man died after taking 'poppers': Darach Culhane-Nolan (33) was found dead at his home on Burrow Road, Sutton, Dublin, on March 16th last year, having inhaled amyl nitrite – more commonly known as poppers – the night before. 

USA

“Inhaling Helium Seems Like Fun Until Someone Dies” is the Message from the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition Press Conference, Supported by EIC. The Entertainment Industries Council, Inc. (EIC) participated in a press conference with the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (NIPC) and the parents of 14-year-old Ashley Long, who died last month after huffing helium. Media from the greater DC area attended [and] also at the press conference was Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy. The NIPC has also called for new restrictions on the sale of the gas - as well as a more serious approach in the media to coverage of its misuse.

Dead body found on high school soccer field (Albuquerque, NM): The victim's name hasn't been released yet. But police say he appeared to have been sniffing or "huffing" the commercial substance used to dust computers.

Man in crash died from inhaling computer cleaner (Burlington, NC): The cause of death of a man who died in early January after he drove his car into the front of a house on Blanche Drive in Burlington was toxicity from a compound found in computer spray cleaner.

Stark County student faces DUI charges in fatal car crash (Stark County, OH): The intoxicating substance allegedly involved was not alcohol ... but rather a chemical "huffed" or inhaled from an aerosol dust-cleaning product commonly used on electronic products.

Dangerous Teen Craze Whip-Its Making a Comeback?: There is growing concern among health professionals that Whip-Its -- small canisters filled with nitrous oxide that can be used as a recreational drug and were reportedly used by actress Demi Moore shortly before she was rushed to the hospital in January -- are making a comeback among teenagers and young adults across the country.

CANADA

Two Free Press journalists nominated for outstanding investigative journalism: Reporter Mary Agnes Welch was nominated in the print category for Sniff: Life at Rock Bottom, a chronicle of the epidemic of solvent abuse among addicts in Winnipeg’s downtown core (see earlier blog).

Canada, home to the suicide capital of the world: In Pikangikum, gas sniffing is rampant and young people are taking their own lives at a shocking rate. 

AUSTRALIA

Aboriginal alliance backs petrol sniffing controls: An alliance of Aboriginal medical organisations has thrown its support behind proposed legislation to ban sniffable fuel in parts of the Northern Territory.

Communities fear resurgence of petrol sniffing: An Indigenous community group says a petrol sniffing epidemic in the Northern Territory town of Katherine is getting worse.

More resources urged to combat Meekatharra solvent abuse: The Western Australian Drug and Alcohol office says strategies are in place to stamp out solvent abuse by young people in Meekatharra.

NEW ZEALAND

Christchurch man died after inhaling LPG: A Christchurch man, who suffered from mental health disorders and was under stress from the earthquakes and the loss of family to Australia, died accidentally after inhaling LPG gas, a coroner has found.

Too many solvent deaths: coroner: A Wellington coroner is urging the government to look at ways of limiting young people's access to solvents such as butane, following the death of a Wainuiomata teenager.

INDIA

Rampant drug addiction: Whitener sniffers not easily detected (Bhopal): Street children in the state capital are getting addicted to whitener sniffing. Some have even lost their lives due to this addiction. These are some observations made by NGOs while demanding immediate attention of the state govt towards the issue.