VSA Headlines: February 2011
Here in the UK, Mid Devon youngsters are putting their lives at risk by sniffing butane gas, police warned this week. A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall police said: “This is a very serious issue. “Youngsters should realise just how dangerous this practice is. I would call on all young people to be sensible and not give in to peer pressure to sniff gas or any other drugs. I would also call on retailers to think about who they are selling butane gas to.” Full story.
A similar problem with solvent abuse and petrol has also been reported in East Malling, Kent, while the jailing of a teenager in Oxford also highlights the association between VSA (in this instance, petrol) and criminal behaviour.
Other headlines this month from around the world include:
"Poppers" may cause lasting vision loss: Inhaling the vapors from "poppers" to get high even once can cause eye damage, but habitual huffing may lead to months-long vision loss, French doctors say.
Tulsa mother warns of huffing freon after teenage son dies (Tulsa, OK): Despite her sadness, she feels it's important to warn parents how addictive and deadly a new high is that kids are chasing. Her son, Mario, died from huffing freon.
2010 brings coroner's first encounter with death by huffing (Washington Township, PA): A 16-year-old boy involved in a vehicle crash Sept. 19, 2010, died of inhalant abuse.
'Dusting' cited in fatal Granite City crash (IL): A Granite City man was under the influence of an inhaled gas when his car crashed into a building.
'Huffing' may be cause of death for Kimberly Andrews (Conway, AK): A 21 year old Conway woman was found dead in her home Sunday, and police believe her death may have been caused by "huffing."
A 53-year-old woman found dead along a road on the Wind River Indian Reservation (WY) died from heart troubles after inhaling fumes from an aerosol can, authorities say.
Woman failed to supervise paint-sniffing child (Palm Harbor, FL): Palm Harbor neighbors called police on Sunday after they saw a 7-year-old child huffing paint.
Local officials try to stop teens from 'huffing' (Leesburg, GA): Hairspray, nail polish remover and cooking spray; they're all items that you could find your home or a grocery store. They're also all items on a new list of substances that are banned from inhaling.
Australia targets gasoline-sniffing (Canberra): Australia is fighting rampant gasoline-sniffing in the Outback by extending the availability of a less harmful fuel as part of a major campaign to improve Aborigines' health.
Youth warned of solvent abuse dangers: Yesterday, the Opposition criticised the Western Australian Government for knocking back legislation that would restrict the sale of the solvent butane to minors.
Police in Fiji getting tough on glue sniffing: Police spokesman, Atunaisa Sokomuri, says the problem exists in urban areas and has been an on-going issue for sometime.
Youth sniff chemical glue like addicts: Police of Quang Ngai Province and Da Nang city in central Vietnam have recently detected and apprehended some teens who sniff chemical glues as a drug.
A sniff that can ‘white out' the future (Coimbatore): It's a case that has shocked people a 16-year-old boy was arrested on Saturday for brutally attacking his father with a stool, after inhaling rubber vulcanising solution. But this addiction is not a lone case.
Sindh Human Rights Minister Nadia Gabol calls for awareness against drug menace: Over 40,000 street children are involved in solvent substance abuse in five major cities including Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Rawalpindi and Islamabad.