Friday, May 07, 2010

Volatile Substance Abuse - In The News

Hello again from Re-Solv and thanks for keeping up-to-date with current stories in the International press about VSA. We are saddened by the death of 16-year-old Rhianne Wake (see the first UK news story) in Sunderland from butane inhalation (aerosol). This tragic story highlights the continuing problems with VSA here in the UK and shows the desperate need for further education and awareness raising activity.

UK

Schoolgirl, 16, died after sniffing gas Sunderland Echo By Jane O'Neill Promising schoolgirl Rhianne Wake's life was cut tragically short after she experimented with sniffing gas from aerosols. ...

USA


Huffing kills McHenry County teen Chicago Tribune His parents said he had been huffing propane meant to fuel a lantern. He had the receipt for the canister in his pocket. By the time paramedics arrived, ...

Illinois lawmakers looking to stiffen penalties for huffing Bloomington Pantagraph Members of the Criminal Law Committee voted 8-0 to endorse a measure that takes aim at “huffing” — a practice in which paint and other chemicals are inhaled ...

Police: Teens were huffing before Charlotte fatal wreck Charlotte Observer The warrant says they had stolen cans of Dust Remover Spray from a nearby Wal-Mart and inhaled the spray, also known as huffing. They also smoked marijuana ...

In Sigel man's death, driver gets prison term for being under influence of ... Journal Gazette and Times-Courier SHELBYVILLE — A man pleaded guilty Wednesday to driving under the influence of an intoxicating compound, reportedly an inhalant, in connection with killing ...


Growing acceptance of marijuana ends up putting teens into rehab center Billings Gazette After marijuana, huffing “canned air” and taking someone else's prescription pills are the most common behaviors that lead kids to the recovery center. ...

ONLY ON 3: Police: Teen huffing before wrecking car WWAY NewsChannel 3 Sgt. Rob Miller says 19-year-old Randi Petrolino and two friends were huffing dust cleaner when they crossed the Wrightsville Beach draw bridge. ...

US Study Finds Teens With Asthma Just As Likely To 'Huff' NASDAQ Inhalant use, or "huffing," can cause breathing problems in otherwise healthy individuals, ... Inhalants are easily accessible and can be highly addictive. ...

Rapids man charged in crash that injured two passengers Wisconsin Rapids Tribune According to the criminal complaint, on Oct. 12, Adkins, who was 17 at the time, was with two friends, ages 15 and 17, when they started using an inhalant ...

'No going back' for recovering teen addict Muncie Star Press And then he started huffing, getting high by sniffing cans of air duster, hairspray, bleach, and finally, gasoline. After school he'd come home, ...

Inhalant Blamed in Ohio Crash TransWorldNews (press release) Inhalants affect a person by causing slurred speech, dizziness and red, glassy eyes, but they can be harder to detect because many inhalants do not have an ...

Man gets up to three months in prison for Millcreek explosion GoErie.com A Millcreek Township man has been sentenced to serve one to three months in the Erie County Prison for blowing up his home while huffing propane last summer ...

Australia

NT Govt failing petrol sniffers: Mills ABC Local... go back to his community on the condition he attends volatile substance rehabilitation, but only if space at the rehabilitation centre became available. ...

Ban to end sniffingntnews.com.auA TOP END community is set to succeed in banning unleaded petrol to stop people sniffing. Breaches of Gunbalanya's plan could see people fined up to $13000 ...

Saudi Arabia

Glue addiction on the rise Arab News Solvent abuse is gaining momentum in view of how cheap it is and its ... Solvent abuse is dangerous and users have in some cases died from a lack of oxygen, ...

Israel

Teen dies after sniffing glue with friends at youth village Ha'aretzBy Fadi Eyadat and Eli Ashkenazi A teenager was found dead in a Kiryat Tivon boarding school yesterday after apparently sniffing glue. ...

Malaysia

Filipino addict's last sniff Daily Express "He may have been sniffing glue before falling into the drain and drowned É but we have to wait for the hospital report before we can give any further ...