Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Teenager dies after 'sniffing lighter gas' with her friends

A TEENAGE girl collapsed and died yesterday after apparently inhaling deadly lighter gas at a car park in East Lothian.
Kirsty Wilson, 18, was reportedly in a car with friends when she passed out sniffing the fumes from an aerosol.
Her distraught friends raced her to Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary – 25 minutes' drive away – but she died despite the best efforts of medics who battled to save her.
Last night, her heartbroken parents, sisters and brother were being comforted by friends.
Kirsty's grandmother, Helen Dunn, 69, reportedly said: "I don't know what happened yet. They're having a post-mortem. "The family is all together at her dad's house. I just don't know what to say."
Kirsty, who lived in Gilmerton, had gone for a drive with four teenage friends on Wednesday night. They stopped at Longniddry Bents car park on the coast. After reportedly inhaling the lethal gas, she was taken to A&E but lost her fight for life in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Last night, members of the family gathered at her dad Alexander's home. Kirsty's parents were divorced and she lived with mum Pauline, 50.
She is survived by older sisters Leanne, 28, and Laurie Wilson, 21, and younger sister Kayleigh, 15, and brother Daniel, 13.
Last night, shocked neighbours at her dad's home gathered in the street. One neighbour said: "We knew Kirsty. It's tragic." A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "There are no suspicious circumstances. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."
Scotland's record for deaths through volatile substance abuse was among the worst across the UK between 1995 and 2004, though by 2006 the number killed by solvents fell to an annual figure of just one.

By LAURA CUMMINGS

taken from The Edinburgh Evening News