Friday, October 30, 2009

More VSA headlines from around the world

USA

Rapid City woman sentenced for huffing KTIVAP - October 27, 2009 9:35 AM ET RAPID CITY, SD (AP) - A woman has been ordered to jail for six months for huffing computer cleaner near her children in a ...

Mother charged with 'huffing' in front of baby Cookeville Herald Citizen ALGOOD -- A Cookeville woman is facing serious charges after being caught "snorting" a can of dust remover in the presence of her baby, police said. ...

Impact of huffing Emporia Gazette By Bobbi Mlynar (Contact) When Lora Esslinger Meirowsky's cell phone rang shortly before sunup on the morning of Oct. 20, 2008, she wasn't surprised. ...

Man Arrested for Huffing Gas in Wal-Mart Bathroom FOXNews Tulsa police have arrested a man for public intoxication after finding him "huffing" — or inhaling — compressed gas inside a Wal-Mart bathroom. ...

UPDATED: Two hospitilized after vehicle hits 5 cars, rolls twice Livingston Daily Inhalant abuse, also known as “huffing,” is the intentional inhalation of chemical vapors to attain a high. Bezotte said the two men had apparently ...

Australia

Hunter youths ditch alcohol for parents' pills Newcastle Herald - Newcastle, Australia... young people did not consider prescription medication abuse as problematic. ... incidents of groups

Governments accused of delaying Opal rolloutABC OnlineThe Uniting Church agency Uniting Care Wesley is warning that petrol sniffing will surge at Yalata, on South Australia's far west coast, ...

Malaysia

Bill On Glue Sniffing Submitted To AG Bernama KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 28 (Bernama) -- The draft Bill to make glue sniffing an offence has been sent to the Attorney-General's Department for perusal. ...

Malta

Sniffing your life awayMalta Independent OnlineTypical inhalant users are between the ages of nine and 17. In fact, the results of the latest International Report on the European School Survey Project on ...

Friday, October 09, 2009

September/October VSA news headlines

Please take a moment to have a look at the VSA updates from the last three weeks. There have been three deaths mentioned in the UK press in this period, see the links below.

UK News

Cadet, 17, died after sniffing aerosol Scotsman A spokeswoman for the anti-solvent abuse charity Re-Solv said: "One of the main causes of death, the greatest risk of solvent abuse, is heart failure. ..
Girl, 18, killed by lighter gas The Sun - London, UK A spokesman for anti-solvent abuse charity Re-Solv said: "Solvent abuse is not a problem of the past". By MYRA PHILP A TRAGIC teenager collapsed and died ...
Bradford Coroner speaks out on the dangers of sniffing butane Bradford Telegraph Argus By Kathie Griffiths » A coroner has warned of the dangers of sniffing gas after a young mum died. Bradford coroner Roger Whittaker said if any good was to ...
Dicing with death North Wales Pioneer - Colwyn Bay, Wales, UK Insp. Andrew Broadhead of the West Conwy district said solvent abuse is not something ... According to national solvent abuse prevention charity, Re-solv...
Fears youngsters are sniffing aerosols in Llandudno Junction underpass North Wales Weekly News - Llandudno,Conwy,UKThe charity Re-Solv works closely with substance misuse action teams and school liaison officers in North Wales to highlight the dangers of sniffing ...
SOLVENT ABUSE FEARS HIT BALLYMONEY Ballymoney Times Said the inspector: "There has been some indication that a bit of solvent abuse or glue-sniffing is taking place in the town." He added: "It has been quite ...

Army cadet died after sniffing solvents guardian.co.uk An army cadet who was found dead in his bunk at a training camp was killed by sniffing solvents in his barracks, his death certificate has revealed. ...
USA News

Girl, 15, dies from 'dusting' Omak Okanogan County Chronicle The practice of inhaling dust remover products, known nationally as “dusting” and in general as “huffing,” has been widely reported by the US media since at ...
East Stroudsburg man died after huffing, coroner finds Pocono Record Huffing is the practice of intentionally abusing chemical inhalents, typically found in cleaning products, to attain a mental intoxication or euphoric ...
Police say woman who drove through Virginia Beach house was ... WTKR Your News Channel 3 Police charged the driver, Malia Lepley with driving under the influence of drugs. They say she was huffing a can of computer keyboard cleaner before and ...

Canton Teen's Hands Amputated After 'Huffing' Propane Hartford Courant Coppinger said that she had never heard of "huffing" — or inhaling — propane and wanted to alert parents and children so that no one else would suffer such ...

McComb mom wants charges in daughter's 2008 death WLBT-TV - Jackson, MS, USA The grieving mother blames the tragedy on inhalants, she claims the driver, ... She is on a mission to warn parents about the dangers of inhalants, ...
Huffer's Story A Warning Wheeling Intelligencer By GABE WELLS Staff Writer WHEELING - The time Patrick Tribett has spent in jail has apparently done nothing to ease his need to get high by huffing spray ...
Bettendorf strengthens huffing ordinance Quad City Times The chemical inhalation law, also known as the "huffing" ordinance, previously outlawed ingredients found in many household items, such as toluene or toluol ...
Suspect in 'huffing' crash waives hearing6abc.comOctober 7, 2009 (WPVI) -- The woman accused of causing a deadly crash after driving while huffing and smoking marijuana waived her prelminary hearing. ...
Police: Teen was huffing Dickinson Press A Dickinson teen who crashed into a power pole Tuesday and caused a power outage across much of the city had been huffing canned air when she blacked out, ...
Man faces charges after crashing into business KFVS According to authorities 23 year old Michael Shannon apparently passed out after possibly huffing dust remover. He then struck another car and crashed into ...
"Huffing" Drug Problem WJHG-TV Panama City Beach- Abusers choose huffing because it's cheap and the chemicals can be found in nearly every home. Huffing is one of the most dangerous forms ...
Cops: Hearing scheduled for 'huffing' driver accused in crash that ... PennLive.com By Matthew Kemeny The driver who police say was huffing from a Dust-Off can when she struck and killed a Lebanon Valley College student-athlete in a ...
Police say teens involved in crash were huffing Pocono Record A carload of huffing teenagers crashed in Hamilton Township on Thursday afternoon, according to Swiftwater State Police. While traveling, according to the ...

Mom raises alarm over inhalants Des Moines Register.com But since inhalants "in and of themselves are not illegal, there were no criminal charges to be had," he said. Southwoods Principal Kent Abrahamson said ...
Brunei
Inhalants New Drug Of Choice For Youngsters Bru Direct - Brunei Darussalam Picture: BT/Rachel Thien Bandar Seri Begawan - Inhalants are newly preferred drug substance abused by young people in the Sultanate as sniffing kangaroo ...
Australia
Man was sniffing paint, but he smelled fake fire Ipswich Queensland Times “He said there was no reason for making the calls other than that he'd been sniffing paint,” she said. Brown pleaded guilty to two charges of improper use ...
Call for petrol sniffing laws to tackle problem drinking ABC Online An alcohol control group in Alice Springs says problem drinking should be tackled the same way as petrol sniffing. The People's Alcohol Action Coalition ...

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Teenager dies after 'sniffing lighter gas' with her friends

A TEENAGE girl collapsed and died yesterday after apparently inhaling deadly lighter gas at a car park in East Lothian.
Kirsty Wilson, 18, was reportedly in a car with friends when she passed out sniffing the fumes from an aerosol.
Her distraught friends raced her to Edinburgh's Royal Infirmary – 25 minutes' drive away – but she died despite the best efforts of medics who battled to save her.
Last night, her heartbroken parents, sisters and brother were being comforted by friends.
Kirsty's grandmother, Helen Dunn, 69, reportedly said: "I don't know what happened yet. They're having a post-mortem. "The family is all together at her dad's house. I just don't know what to say."
Kirsty, who lived in Gilmerton, had gone for a drive with four teenage friends on Wednesday night. They stopped at Longniddry Bents car park on the coast. After reportedly inhaling the lethal gas, she was taken to A&E but lost her fight for life in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Last night, members of the family gathered at her dad Alexander's home. Kirsty's parents were divorced and she lived with mum Pauline, 50.
She is survived by older sisters Leanne, 28, and Laurie Wilson, 21, and younger sister Kayleigh, 15, and brother Daniel, 13.
Last night, shocked neighbours at her dad's home gathered in the street. One neighbour said: "We knew Kirsty. It's tragic." A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "There are no suspicious circumstances. A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."
Scotland's record for deaths through volatile substance abuse was among the worst across the UK between 1995 and 2004, though by 2006 the number killed by solvents fell to an annual figure of just one.

By LAURA CUMMINGS

taken from The Edinburgh Evening News